Dear WRSA members,
I hope this email finds you, your family, friends and employees all in good health.
As you know, our organisation’s Annual General Meetings (AGM) would have taken place on the 3rd of April, but unfortunately had to be postponed because of COVID-19. A virtual Annual General Meeting is now scheduled to take place on the 16th of October 2020. The WRSA office will soon distribute all the necessary information to members.
The WRSA constitution is vague on the process to follow in extra-ordinary circumstances. Therefore, with WRSA being a non-profit company, the Board also consulted the Companies Act for guidance on the process to be followed and I would like to share the following information with you:
- The current Board’s term, including my term as president, comes to an end at this year’s WRSA AGM.
- After serving for long periods of time on the WRSA Board, varying between 7-10 years, the following directors have already submitted their resignations which took effect on 3 April when the AGM would originally have been held:
Wiaan van der Linde
I would like to extend my most sincere appreciation to all of them. They have all already indicated a few months ago that after serving for so many years, they will not be able to serve as directors any longer. On behalf of WRSA members, I applaud them for their commitment and dedication towards our organisation over many years.
- It would be fair to say that institutions and governments from all over the world are currently going through a period of uncertainty on how to deal with the COVID-19 challenge. With the postponement of the AGM, the Board also had to give careful consideration to the way forward to ensure an active and working Board of Directors to be in place for our organisation.
- In terms of the Companies Act, interim directors may be appointed to fill vacancies.
In this instance, with the postponement of the AGM, I agreed to remain in the position as president until the AGM can be held and the Board has appointed Mr Gerhard Heyneke to fill the vacancy of deputy president until the AGM will be held.
The Interim Board until the AGM on 16 October, is therefore made up by:
Tebogo Mogashoa – President
Gerhard Heyneke – Acting Deputy President
Dr Tlalane Lesodi – Transformation and Land Reform
Kgomotso Maphai – Marketing
Louis Van Der Watt – Strategy
Mike Gcabo – Game products
Pieter Ernst (jr) – Breeding and Eco-tourism
Rouan Nel – Hunting
Wicus Pretorius – Financial
- As reported previously, our CEO Adri Kitshoff-Botha would have retired from her position at the end of April, but due to COVID-19 and all the challenges it held for our organisation and the bigger wildlife industry, she agreed to postpone her retirement.
Adri has since accepted the Board’s request to remain in her position as CEO until the end of October. I want to extend my sincerest appreciation towards Adri, on behalf of the WRSA Board and membership, for her willingness to assist us through these extra-ordinary times.
- In closing, I thank you in advance for your understanding of this process and your support to the Board of Directors over the next few months until the proper election of the new leadership can take place at our AGM.