- Prior to 1652 game in Southern Africa was widespread and could move freely (no fences).
- Initially seen as food (introduced livestock did not have to be killed for meat).
- Also hunted for sport.
- Later seen as:
- Competition to domestic stock for grazing
- Disease carriers and reservoirs
- Other major factors reducing game numbers
- Rinderpest (reaching Western Cape in 1898)
- Anglo Boer war (1899 to 1902)
- Tsetse and Ngana control (1928 to 1960)
- Tb control programmes (1930 …..)
Dr GC DRY
PAST-PRESIDENT, Wildlife Ranching South Africa
AQUASAND GAME RANCH
DIRECTOR OF COMPANIES
Download attachmentWildlife Ranching – an industry of the future